• attroll

Photography is built on the three pillars of exposure: shutter speed, aperture and sensitivity. Shutter and aperture are controls for adjusting how much light comes into the camera. How much light is needed is determined by the
    Article Preview

You may not realize it, but every time you bring your camera up to your eye you're making decisions about composition. Simply put, composition is how you choose to frame the picture you're about to make. Many books have been written about composition, and while no two people are likely to frame the same scene the same way, there are some general guidelines that can help you improve your photos and make them more interesting and engaging.

Diane Berkenfeld
    5 EASY COMPOSITION GUIDELINES 5 easy tips for learning how to compose photographs. 2:21 min.

The Rule of Thirds

One of the first questions to ask yourself when composing your picture is: "What is my subject?"

Focal length, usually represented in millimeters (mm), is the basic description of a photographic lens. It is not a measurement of the actual length of a lens, but a calculation of an optical distance from
    by Published on 10-02-2011 09:00 PM
    Article Preview

Just what rights does a photographer have to take photographs, and how can photographs be used, once taken?

What can you Photograph

First let me state quite clearly that I am not a lawyer and this should not be taken as legal advice. If in doubt, consult with a qualified lawyer, preferably one with experience in areas such as privacy and/or intellectual property law and/or constitutional rights. Second, unless specifically stated otherwise, all comments refer to photography in the United States.
    Article Preview

Photography Composition: The Importance of Foreground

One of the best ways to improve one’s photography composition is to view the work of others. In carrying out this exercise, astute photographers will likely notice a number of factors that, when skillfully utilized, contribute to the success of memorable images. Those same factors, when utilized less skillfully, actually detract from images. One of these factors is the use of foregrounds. In successful images, the foregrounds are an integral part of the images. In each successful photographic ...

This technique is used mostly on younger females and will add that "extra touch" to your images to raise them above what the other guy is doing. A brief description is in order however.

Article taken from ...
    Article Preview

The Rules Of Good Portraiture
    There are 35 rules (suggestions) that should be followed if one expects his or her portrait images to rise above the "that is a nice picture" to "WOW you did that?" status. I have never seen them assembled into a book and published, other than a book by master photographer Don Peterson written in 1985. He listed 25 of them. Even when Googling it all I get is his rules (posted by myself and one other person) over the past several years on various websites. Several of those "old rules" have become "obsolete" in the new millennium. My list has been garnered over the last 25 years and modified somewhat by the "relaxation" of posing in the last ten years or so.

Why rules? People will simply not spend $100.00 for an 8 x 10 snapshot. They will however spend $100.00 for an 8 x 10 if it is a beautiful portrait, and if you follow the rules you should get beautiful portraits. Once you learn them you can then judiciously bend or break them a little to acheive that "perfect" image that you see in your mind.

These rules are for PORTRAIT images. Just as there
    Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2028293031 LastLast
  • Recent Articles